Calendar Blocking

This productivity hack changed my life, and definitely for the better. If you have not heard of calendar blocking, it is basically blocking out certain times in your day to do the things that you need to get done so you make the most of out every hour that you have.

What gets scheduled gets done. ā€” Daniel Pink

It’s also incredibly simple to do and you can easily customize it to fit your every day routine. First you make a list of things that you do on a daily basis, decide the time you would like to do them each day, and create your schedule.

Now it does not have to be incredibly specific or exactly the same every single day. As I’ve mentioned, it highly depends on the type of lifestyle that you lead and can easily be made to suit it.

Here’s an example of mine:

MORNING BLOCK:
This includes waking up, showering, having breakfast and getting ready for the day. What I like to do after that is to write in my gratitude journal, plan out my day such as what I’m going to be studying for each study block and finally getting other things done. If there is anything I need to get done such as reply emails, make a call to settle something, etc, I do it early in the morning so I get it all out of the way and I can focus on my studying.

STUDY BLOCK:
There are three study blocks that I have divided into two hours each and this is for the three subjects that I am studying. This way I don’t overwork myself by studying too much of a subject in a day and there is an equal amount of time spent on each of it.

LUNCH/DINNER:
I allow myself an hour for each as it gives me enough time to watch an episode of a Netflix show and rest a little bit before moving on to other things. These are the only blocks that last an hour because I personally feel like setting an hour aside to do some things maybe be too little and makes me feel rushed to get them done.

EVENING BLOCK:
This block is slightly more flexible than the others I have talked about but not entirely. The evening block is set for two activities. The first is exercise. I spend between 30 minutes to an hour exercising, I spend some time stretching after the workout, shower and relax for a little bit. On days that I choose not to workout, I use the evening block as a fourth study block.

LEISURE BLOCK:
This block is for me to do anything that I could possibly want to do. It has no specific purpose other than for me to relax and have fun. I usually use this time to practice my Spanish which I am currently studying, write for my blog, read a book, watch a movie, binge YouTube videos, etc. It is a great way to unwind.

SLEEP BLOCK:
Obviously this was not included in the picture above but you can tell that I go to bed at 11pm and wake up at 7am. This ensures that I get about 6-8 hours of sleep. This is because I do tend to wake up in the middle of the night sometimes and remain awake for a couple of hours before I can go back to sleep. Setting 8 hours of sleep time ensures that I will definitely get the bare minimum of six each night so I can function efficiently the next day.

DON’T WORRY IF IT DOES NOT ALWAYS WORK
Let me make it clear that this is my schedule 95% of the time and I can do this because I am studying from home so I have better control over my time. The remaining 5% of the time, things don’t go the way I want them to but that is the beauty of life.

Sometimes my friends want to go out in the middle of the day, or my parents have something planned that clashes with my study blocks.

The one for me that messes up my sleep schedule and the rest of it as well is football, but that does not mean I am going to give up watching football entirely. I simple adjust my schedule to accommodate it on days that there is a game playing.

That is all I have for you guys on calendar blocking. I promise that this will help you make the most out of the time you have each day and complete things quicker than you initially thought possible.

Much Love,
Rhuthshana

4 Comments Add yours

  1. Phone is the biggest distraction for me!!šŸ˜©

    Like

    1. Shana says:

      Me too! I sometimes put it in my cupboard just to stay away from it haha

      Liked by 1 person

      1. Maybe I should try that too! šŸ˜…

        Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s